A gourmet dog for a tasty Sunday lunch. Serves 6.
- 6 high quality no-nitrate hot dogs
- 2 organic leeks
- 1 organic apple
- 2 tablespoons Straus Family Creamery unsalted butter
- 6 oz. Montgomery Cheddar
- 1 ½ cups Zollinger local apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Pinch of ground allspice
- Edmond Fallot Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Slice the leeks in half, trim the roots, then cut the white and pale green parts into crescents.
Peel and core the apple then thinly slice.
Grate the cheese.
Cook the hot dogs according to package directions.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter then stir in the leeks and apple. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 – 8 minutes. Add in the allspice, and caraway seeds, plus salt and pepper to taste.
Pour in the cider and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then simmer, uncovered, until most of liquid cooks off, about 15 minutes
Arrange hot dogs on a plate (buns are optional.) Top with mustard, sprinkle with cheese and top with a heaping scoop of the braised leeks. Serve right away.