Roasting the cauliflower and nuts brings out their sweetness and serves as a nice complement to the bitter greens. Serve as an elegant and colorful side salad. Excellent paired with salmon or other full flavored fish. Serves 6 - 8 as a side dish.
- 1 large or 2 small heads organic cauliflower
- 1 head organic romaine or other sturdy green
- 1 head organic radicchio
- 1 bunch organic flat leaf (Italian) parsley
- ¾ cup nuts (organic hazelnuts, Marcona almonds, pecans, etc.)
- ¼ cup + 5 tablespoons LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Tiburtini white wine vinegar
- 1 organic shallot
- Kosher salt & freshly-ground pepper to taste
Cut cauliflower into 1 inch florets
Finely chop shallot
Wash and dry Romaine. Remove core and cut the leaves into ¼ inch wide strips.
Wash and dry radicchio. Remove radicchio core. Cut crosswise into ¼ inch strips.
Wash and dry parsley. Remove stems and discard, reserving just the picked leaves.
Toast the nuts (Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the nuts until fragrant and lightly browned – about 5 -8 minutes.) Coarsely chop when cooled.
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Mix the cauliflower with ¼ cup olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to a baking dish and roast for about 25 – 35 minutes, turning once, until fork tender and lightly browned. Remove from oven.
Whisk the vinegar, shallot and salt and pepper to taste. While briskly whisking the mixture, add the 5 tablespoons olive oil in a slow stream to form an emulsified vinaigrette.
Mix the roasted cauliflower with the lettuces and toss with the vinaigrette to evenly coat. Toss in the toasted nuts, salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.