A wonderful winter dish to feed a crowd plus clear out the one-off root vegetables that are accumulating in your pantry or crisper. Serves 6 – 8 as a side dish.
- 4 – 5 lbs. organic root vegetables – your choice of a combo of rutabaga, celery root, turnips, potatoes, etc.
- 5 – 6 sprigs fresh organic thyme
- 2 – 3 organic garlic cloves
- 3 cups Straus Family Creamery organic cream
- 6 oz. Rockhill Creamery Wasatch Mountain Gruyere
- ½ stick Straus Family Creamery unsalted butter + extra to prep baking dish
- 1½ cups LHF fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup More than Gourmet chicken or vegetable broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Peel the root vegetables. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, cut into 1/16 inch thick slices. To cook evenly, the vegetables need to be uniform in thickness.
Thinly slice the garlic cloves.
Chop thyme leaves from 2 sprigs.
Grate the cheese.
Preheat oven to 400F. Generously butter a 2 quart baking dish.
Combine all the sliced vegetables in a large bowl; salt and pepper to taste.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Melt about half of the butter, then add in the breadcrumbs, stirring frequently until warmed and a nice golden brown. Transfer to a small bowl and toss with the about a third of the grated cheese and the fresh chopped thyme. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, broth, whole thyme sprigs, sliced garlic and remaining butter. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mix comes to a low simmer and the butter is melted. Cover; remove from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme.
Arrange about half of the vegetables in the baking dish and sprinkle with about half of the remaining cheese. Repeat the process, then pour the cream mixture on top.
Loosely cover the mixture with foil. Bake on a baking sheet or sheet pan (to prevent spills) until the vegetables are fork tender and the cream has thickened, about 50 minutes – 1 hour. Remove the foil and top with the breadcrumb mixture. Bake until the top is lightly browned, about 10 - 15 more minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest about 10 minutes before serving.