The addition of the chickpeas makes this dish substantial enough for either a vegan entrée or satisfying side dish. Serves 3 – 4 as an entrée or 6 – 8 as a side.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 – 6 medium sized certified organically carrots, of various colors if possible
- 6 – 8 certified organically grown golden beets
- 2 - 3 cups certified organically grown baby spinach
- ½ cup LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 medium shallot
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns from Pohnpei Pepper Company, Pohnpei, Micronesia
- ¼ cup Bozzano Ranch 2011 harvest Toscana extra virgin olive oil (we suggest this premium oil that is certified organic and made from Tuscan varieties, creating a bold and fresh full-flavored extra virgin olive oil that will really take your dressing to a whole new level of flavor and texture.)
- ¼ cup Refosco Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed certified organically grown Eureka or Meyer lemon juice
- Kosher salt
Trim the beet greens from the beets if any. Reserve greens for future use. Wrap each beet in foil.
Scrub the carrots to remove trace dirt. Cut on the bias into 1/8 inch slices.
Prep for the Vinaigrette:
Thinly slice the shallots.
Crush the oregano with your fingers.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Arrange the wrapped beets on a foil lined baking sheet and bake until tender, around 40 – 50 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. When cool to the touch, remove the foil, rub off the beet skin, and slice.
Line a sheet pan with foil. Arrange carrots on sheet pan, drizzle with half of the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Pour ½ cup of water onto the pan. Roast in the oven around 18 – 22 minutes, or until softened and slightly browned. (Carrots and beets can roast in the oven at the same time.) Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add in the remaining olive oil. When the oil is hot, saute the chickpeas until color develops, around 8 – 12 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Using the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, saute the shallots for around 2 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the cumin, fresh pepper, and crushed oregano, and saute for just 1 minute.
Transfer the mixture to a medium sized bowl. Stir in the red wine vinegar and fresh lemon juice. Then briskly whisk in the remaining olive oil.
Toss 2 tablespoons of the warm vinaigrette with the spinach. Arrange equal amounts of baby spinach on each plate.
Combine the cooked carrots and beets, and toss with the remaining vinaigrette.
To serve, top the spinach with the chickpeas, then the carrot and beet mixture. Serve right away.