A very quick and easy version of the traditional Portuguese soup. Serves 6-8.
- 1 pound organically grown kale, rinsed and julienned
- 4 tablespoons LHF California extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 organically grown onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 organically grown potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (any mild boiling potato works fine)
- 2 quarts cold water
- 6 ounces spicy or other flavorful sausage
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil for 3 minutes. Stir in potatoes and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes more. Pour in water, bring to a boil, and let boil gently for 20 minutes, until potatoes are mushy.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook sausage until it has released most of its fat, 10 minutes. Drain.
Mash potatoes or puree the potato mixture with a blender or food processor. Stir the sausage, salt and pepper into the soup and return to medium heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
Just before serving, stir kale into soup and simmer, 5 minutes, until kale is tender. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and serve at once.