The unbeatable combo of beer, bacon and greens is a soul-satisfying treat. Serves 4 – 6 as a side dish.
- 4 bunches organically grown collard greens
- 8 slices La Quercia Tamworth bacon
- 1 organically grown white or yellow onion
- 1 bottle Uinta Baba Black Sheep organic lager
- 2 - 3 tablespoons brown sugar or India Tree Demerara Sugar
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Remove the stems and any tough ribs from the collard greens. Coarsely chop.
Chop the bacon.
Dice the onion.
Heat a medium sized pot over low heat. When the pan is hot, add in the bacon. Saute, stirring occasionally until the bacon fat is rendered and the bacon is beginning to cook, about 8 minutes.
Stir in the onions and saute until the onions are caramelized and the bacon is crispy.
Raise the heat to medium-high. Mix in the beer and about half of the greens, cooking until just wilted, then add in the rest of the greens. Stir to combine.
Stir in the brown sugar, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Add in more sugar and cayenne as needed.
Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and cook for 25 – 35 minutes, or until the greens are soft, and the broth is rich and flavorful.
Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate for the next day.