A wallet friendly and healthy soup that is also vegan and gluten-free. Serves 4 – 6.
- 2 bunches organically collard greens
- 1 bunch organically grown baby leeks
- 2 cups (about 2/3 can) San Marzano diced tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked black eyed peas
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 cups More than Gourmet vegetable (or chicken) stock
- 3 tablespoons LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Hot sauce to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Remove the stems and any tough ribs from the collard greens. Coarsely chop.
Remove the roots and coarse stems of the baby leeks. Chop the white bulbs and tender greens.
Mince the garlic.
In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the leeks until beginning to soften, then mix in the garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin and chili powder. Saute for about 2 minutes to combine. Add in the chopped collard greens, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
Stir in the broth, tomatoes, black-eyed peas, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30 – 40 minutes, or until flavors combined. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve right away or store in the refrigerator to serve the next two days.