A homey and colorful side dish for 4 – 6. Wonderful paired with duck, lamb or steak.
- 6 - 8 organically grown beets with greens attached
- 1 bunch organically grown green kale
- ¼ cup Strauss Creamery organic and non GMO unsalted butter
- 2 shallots
- 3 tablespoons Unio Riesling Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 pound Bucheron, at room temperature (a soft chevre)
- One loaf Crumb Brothers Sourdough or Chiabatta bread
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Trim off the beet greens, coarsely chop and set aside in a large bowl. Wearing gloves, peel the beets, then slice into attractive ¼ inch thick rounds or half rounds.
Remove the tough stems and ribs from the kale and discard. Coarsely chop the kale leaves and combine with the beet greens.
Mince the shallots.
Slice the cheese into individual serving wedges.
Warm the bread in an oven. Slice just before serving.
Heart a large sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté the shallots in the butter until soft and translucent.
Stir in the sliced beets, add salt and pepper to taste, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Sauté until tender, about 15 minutes, turning frequently.
Mix in the greens and kale. Sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 - 7 minutes. Add the wine vinegar, cover and cook until the greens are quite wilted. Add in water a few tablespoons at a times as needed (if the greens begin to get dry before they are completely soft.) Cook until almost all of the liquid is absorbed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Divide the beets and greens evenly in bowls. Top with a wedge of Bucheron cheese and serve with a slice of warm bread.