This chunky, rustic soup shines with bright garlic flavor. Serves 6 large bowls.
- 1 lb. organic spring aka green garlic
- 2 organic yellow or white onions
- ½ lb. organic potatoes (choose a soft floury potato such as Yellow Finns or Yukon Golds)
- 1 stick Strauss Creamery unsalted butter
- 8 cups More than Gourmet chicken or vegetable broth
- Diamond Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bozzano Ranch 2011 harvest certified organic Toscana extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
Wash the spring garlic and trim the roots. Remove any brown or discolored spots.
Slice the garlic bulb and the tender lighter green sections of the stalk into rounds. Set aside 2 tablespoons of finely chopped, light green stalks for garnish. Discard the tough upper stalk.
Peel the potatoes; chop them into ½ inch cubes.
Dice the onions.
Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Melt the butter, then add in the diced onion. Sauté until softened and translucent. Stir in the potatoes and chopped garlic, and cook for around 5 minutes, or until garlic is soft and fragrant.
Mix in the stock, and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are fork tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve garnished with a drizzle of the olive oil and a sprinkle of the reserved chopped spring garlic stalks.