The light citrus notes of the green tomatoes are given just the right crunch with a polenta coating. Serves 4 - 6 as a side dish.
- 4 large, organic firm green tomatoes
- 1 cup Mulini Moretti yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 Clifford Family Farm local eggs
- Grapeseed oil or other high smoke point oil for frying
- Diamond Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Slice the tomatoes across, to create 1/4 inch thick slices. Liberally dust with salt and pepper.
Pour about 1/2 inch of grapeseed oil in a medium skillet, and heat over medium high heat.
Beat the eggs in a small bowl.
Combine the cornmeal, paprkia plus salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl.
Dip the tomato slices first in the beaten egg to cover on all sides, then dredge the slices in the cornmeal mixture for an even coat.
When the oil is hot, fry the tomatoes until a light golden brown color, turning after about 2 minutes. Transfer to a towel lined platter. Work in batches as needed to not crowd the skillet.
Enjoy right away.