The beauty of summer produce is in its simplicity: simply let the ingredients speak for themselves and don't get in the way. Nothing says this more than one of our summer favorites - the caprese salad. Serves 4 – 6 as a side salad.
- 4 – 6 organic heirloom tomatoes
- 1 lb. Mozzarella
- 1 small handful organic basil
- La Vecchia Dispensa Modense balsamic vinegar
- Talcott 2012 Carneros Napa Valley Olive Oil
- Diamond Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Slice the tomatoes about ¼ inch thick.
Slice the mozzarella about ¼ inch thick.
Wash the basil and dry well. Coarsely tear the leaves in half or pieces.
Attractively arrange the tomato and mozzarella slices on a platter, overlapping and alternating. Top each piece with a small pinch of salt. Sprinkle the basil leaves on top, then drizzle with both the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Pepper to taste. Serve right away.