Roasting the shallots in balsamic vinegar lends both flavor and sophistication for an elegant side dish ideal for family entertaining or holidays. The shallots can be made the day ahead, cooking the beans just before serving. Serves 4 - 6 as a side.
- 1 ½ lb. – 2 lb. organic green beans
- 6 – 8 large organic shallots
- 1 cup More than Gourmet chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons LHF La Vecchia Dispensa balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons India Tree Demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoons LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- Diamond Kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co. freshly ground black pepper
Snap off or trim the ends of the green beans.
Peel and separate the shallots. Cut each in half lengthwise (root to tip.)
Preheat oven to 450 F. Very lightly oil a sheet pan or baking sheet.
In a medium sized bowl, toss the shallots with the half of the olive oil, plus salt and pepper to taste.
Spread the shallots, cut side down, onto the baking sheet. Roast in the oven until the shallots are a dark brown color, about 12 – 16 minutes.
Heat a large sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the broth and boil until reduced to around ¼ cup, about 5 minutes. Mix in the balsamic vinegar and sugar and stir until dissolved.
Stir in the shallots, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is a thick glaze, about 5 minutes. (To make ahead, follow the recipe to this point, then re-heat in a pan over low heat.)
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over medium-high heat. Cook the green beans to desired tenderness, about 2 – 3 minutes. Drain and toss with the remaining olive oil. Top with the roasted shallots and glaze. Serve right away.