Use any combo of sweet plums or pluots you have on hand – this cake is especially pretty when made with several colorful varieties of plums. Serves 8 – 9. Will store, covered at room temp, and even become more flavorful, for 2 – 3 days.
- 6 – 8 organic plums or pluots (a colorful variety of Green Gage plums and Flavor Rosa pluots works especially well)
- 1 ½ cup King Arthur all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 pinches ground cloves
- 2 Clifford Family Farm local eggs
- 5 tablespoons Straus Creamery unsalted butter
- ¾ cup packed India Tree Dark Muscovado sugar
- 2 tablespoons India Tree Demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Singing Dog vanilla extract
Bring the eggs and butter to room temperature.
Cut in half and remove the pit from the fruit. Trim off any stems. Cut into wedges – about 8 per fruit.
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Butter and flour an 8″ x 8″ baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and ground cloves.
Using a hand held mixer or standing mixer, whip the butter on medium speed, until a pale light yellow color develops, around 3 minutes.
Add in the packed brown sugar, and whip for an additional 3 minutes on medium speed.
Mix in the eggs one at a time, scraping the sides after each addition.
Still on medium speed, add in the oil, grated zest, and vanilla. Again scrape down the sides, and mix until the batter is smooth and shiny.
Reduce the speed to low, and gently fold in the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
Pour the batter into the bottom of the baking pan. Arrange the sliced plums attractively on the top.
Sprinkle the top with the Demerara sugar, and bake for 35 – 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a tester comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then top with ice-cream or serve plain. Once cool, wrap in plastic or tightly with foil, and store at room temperature for 2 – 3 days.