A simple summer pasta dinner - with fresh tomatoes, torn basil and balsamic vinaigrette. Serves 4 as an entrée.
- 1 lb. Rustichella d'Abruzzo penne or other short pasta
- 6 – 8 fresh Roma tomatoes
- 1 small handful organic fresh basil
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- ½ organic red onion
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 1 organic garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon K.L Keller Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon La Vecchia Dispensa balsamic vinegar
- Diamond kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co. freshly ground pepper
Seed and dice the tomatoes.
Pit the olives if needed.
Dice the red onion.
Stack the basil leaves one on top of another. Cut into thin strips.
Finely mince the garlic clove.
Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package directions. Drain when al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, prepare the vinaigrette. Briskly whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon, and minced garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
In a large bowl, toss the warm pasta with the fresh tomatoes, basil, red onion, olives, capers and crumbled feta. Toss with about half of the vinaigrette, add more to taste, and serve right away.