The sweet pear balances the hot leeks and bitter greens. Simple and refreshing. Serves 4 as a side or starter salad.
- 2 ripe Bartlett or other in-season pear variety
- 2 organic leeks
- 1 bunch organic frisée or other mildly bitter green
- 2 teaspoons India Tree Demerara sugar
- ½ cup La Vecchia Dispensa balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- Diamond kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co. freshly ground pepper
Core and thinly slice the pear.
Wash and trim the leeks. Half lengthwise and thinly slice the white and pale green parts.
Tear the greens into bite sized pieces.
In a small saucepan, mix the vinegar and sugar to combine. Over medium heat, boil the mixture, stirring constantly, until reduced by half, about 2 – 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add in the oil, the sauté the sliced leeks with salt and pepper to taste, until tender, about 4 – 5 minutes.
Arrange greens on each plate. Top with pear slices, then spoon the softened leeks and hot oil on each serving. Finish with a drizzle of the reduced vinegar. Dust with salt and pepper and serve right away.