Fattoush is a delicious and refreshing traditional Lebanese vegan salad, perfect for late summer. Serves 4 as a lunch entrée salad.
- 2 large handfuls original or spicy falafel chips
- 2 heads organic Little Gem or Romaine lettuce (or use one head of each)
- 1 pint organic cherry tomatoes
- 1 organic red or green bell pepper
- 6 organic scallions or green onions
- 2 large handfuls Italian parsley
- 1 organic English cucumber
- 2 organic Eureka lemons
- 2 organic garlic cloves
- Handful sprigs fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons Sadaf pomegranate molasses
- 2 teaspoons Banyuls white or blush wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- Diamond kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co. pepper
Lightly crumble or crush the falafel chips with your hands.
Wash and spin dry the lettuce. Cut crosswise into ½ inch – 1 inch wide strips.
Remove stem and halve the cherry tomatoes.
Chop the bell pepper.
Finely chop the scallions or green onions.
Chop the parsley leaves.
Trim the ends from the cucumber. Cut into quarters lengthwise, then into bite sized pieces crosswise.
Zest and juice the lemons.
Mince the garlic cloves.
Chop the mint leaves.
Combine the fresh lemon juice and zest, pomegranate molasses, minced garlic, white wine vinegar and a few pinches of fresh chopped mint. Whisking continually, add in the olive oil in a thin stream to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
In a large bowl, combine the lettuces, tomatoes, green onion, cucumber, bell pepper, parsley, and the rest of the mint. Toss with the vinaigrette and the crumbled falafel chips. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve right away.