Use "cheddar" cauliflower along with actual Cheddar to add a pretty color to this rustic soup. Serve with a slice of crusty bread and a light green salad. Makes 4 large bowls.
- 1 head organic cheddar or white cauliflower
- 1 organic Russet (or other floury potato)
- 1 organic celery stalk
- 2 organic carrots
- ½ yellow or white organic onion
- 1 cup More than Gourmet vegetable broth
- 3 cups Rosehill whole milk
- 4 oz. Fiscalini American Farmstead cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Straus Creamery unsalted butter
- ¼ cup King Arthur all-purpose flour
- Diamond kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co. pepper
Chop the cauliflower.
Peel and chop the potato.
Finely chop the celery.
Finely chop the carrots.
Chop the onion.
Shred the cheese.
In a medium pot, combine the broth, 1 cup water, chopped cauliflower, potato, celery, carrots and onion. Bring to a boil, and keep at a low boil for 7 – 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter, then stir in the flour, briskly whisking until well combined, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, and gradually add in the milk, stirring to combine. Return the mixture to a medium heat, and reduce until thickened.
Add the milk mixture to the vegetables and return to medium heat. Stir well to combine, add water as needed to achieve desired consistency, salt and pepper to taste, then add in grated cheese. Serve once the cheese has melted and serving temp is reached.