Enjoy this hearty dish on a cold night – the earthy lentils and vegetables contrast nicely to the slightly bitter greens. Serves 4 – 6 as a vegan entrée.
- 2 ½ cups Zürsun Red Chief lentils
- 1 – 2 bunches organic dandelion greens
- 1 - 2 organic carrots
- 3 – 4 organic green onions or scallions
- 3 – 4 organic garlic cloves
- ½ organic shallot
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- ½ cup More than Gourmet chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Cardinal Mendoza sherry vinegar from Jerez de La Frontera, Spain
- LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- Diamond kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co. freshly ground black pepper
Cook the lentils according to the package directions.
Remove the stems from the dandelion greens.
Dice the carrots.
Trim the green onions and then slice the bulb and tender parts of the green stalks.
Chop the garlic and shallot.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Heat a drizzle of olive oil to coat the pan, then add in the carrots, green onions, and garlic. Sauté to slightly soften, about 3 – 4 minutes.
Toss in the dandelion greens, plus salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until the greens are wilted, about 2 -3 minutes. Add in the lentils, broth, thyme, shallots, vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve right away.