Crunchy, light and fresh – this winter salad will lend a little sunshine to a gloomy day. The pretty light green of the celery, with the white fennel and fuchsia watermelon radish add to the appeal. Dress the salad just before serving or the salad will become watery. Serve 4 - 6 as a side salad.
- 5 – 6 small or 3 - 4 medium organic watermelon radishes
- 1 head organic celery
- 1 bulb organic fennel, stalks and fronds removed
- 1 bunch (6 - 8) scallions or green onions
- ½ organic Eureka lemon
- 4 – 6 organic garlic cloves, or 1 tablespoon Laziz Toum (garlic spread)
- 2 tablespoons Refosco red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- Diamond kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co fresh pepper
Remove any radish greens if attached and reserve for future use.
Trim the roots and tops from the celery and remove any tough outer stalks.
Remove the stalks and fronds from the fennel bulb.
Trim the roots and top dark green tops from the scallions. Remove any discolored outer layers.
Juice the lemon, removing any pits or pith.
Finely grate or mince the garlic cloves.
Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, slice the radishes, fennel and celery into very thin (1/8 – ¼ inch) slices.
Chop the scallions on the bias (diagonally) into ¼ inch slices.
Toss all the vegetables together and set aside.
In a small bowl, briskly whisk the minced garlic, olive oil, vinegar, fresh lemon juice plus salt and pepper to taste.
Just before serving, toss the vegetables with about half of the dressing. Taste, and add more dressing if needed. Salt and pepper to taste.