Shallots are easily added to a multitude of dishes to add complexity and depth. In this side dish, however, the shallots are the stars. Serves 3 – 4 as a side dish.
- 1 lb. organic shallots
- Small handful fresh Italian parsley, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons Straus Family Creamery unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons India Tree Demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoons Refosco red wine vinegar
- LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- Diamond kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co. fresh pepper
Peel and separate the shallots. Do not trim off the roots.
Chop the parsley leaves.
Preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly oil a baking dish.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Melt the butter, then mix in the shallots and sugar, tossing to coat well. Cover, and cook for 8 – 10 minutes, or until the shallots are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in the vinegar and add salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer the shallots and butter mixture to the baking dish. Bake until fork tender – check after 15 minutes, but the shallots can take up to 25 minutes depending on their size.
Remove from the oven, salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with the chopped parsley. Serve right away.