This kale dish is a wonderful accompaniment to steaks or lamb, Serves 3 - 4 as a side dish.
- 1 bunch organic kale
- 4 slices Christiansen Family Farm bacon
- 1 white or yellow organic onion
- 2 organic apples (a crisp sweet-tart variety such as Winesap, Gala or Granny Smith)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Katz's Gravenstein apple cider vinegar
- Diamond kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co fresh pepper
Coarsely chop the kale.
Thinly slice the onion.
Core and dice the apple, no need to peel.
Heat a Dutch Oven or large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the bacon until crispy, about 3 – 5 minutes. When cool to touch, crumble the bacon and set aside.
Pour out the majority of the bacon drippings, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pan.
Raise heat to medium-high. Add in the onion and sauté until tender, about 4 – 6 minutes. Mix in the kale, and sauté until wilted, stirring frequently, about 4 – 6 minutes.
Stir in the wine, apple cider vinegar, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Kale will become quite soft.
Mix in the apple plus salt and pepper to taste. Cook uncovered for about 5 more minutes or until the apple has softened a bit, stirring occasionally.
Top with the crumbled bacon and serve right away.