Roasting the beets first allows their flavor to develop. Feel free to leave off the feta to make this dish vegan or paleo. Serves 4 as a side dish.
- 2 – 4 medium to large organic beets
- 3 organic Valencia or Navel oranges
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed Valencia orange juice
- Small handful fresh organic mint
- ½ organic shallot
- 2 teaspoons La Vecchia Dispensa balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. Shepherd's Dairy feta cheese
- Diamond kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co fresh pepper
Wash the beets and trim the beet greens, if any. Leave about a ½ inch stem.
Peel the oranges and break into small segments.
Coarsely chop the mint.
Finely mince the shallots.
Crumble the feta cheese
Preheat oven to 400F.
Toss the beets with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast covered with foil until tender, about 1 hour – 1 ½ hours. Check for doneness by giving the beets a quick squeeze (should give easily) or by easily piercing the center with a knife. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
Whisk the fresh orange juice, the remaining olive oil and the balsamic vinegar, plus salt and pepper to taste.
When the beets are cool enough to touch, peel and slice them into ½ inch pieces. Gently toss the beets with about half of the orange segments, the fresh mint, the shallots and the vinaigrette, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Top with the remaining segments and the feta cheese and serve right away.