Just a touch of dark chocolate gives the vinaigrette a wonderful depth of flavor and texture. Dress the salad lightly – a little goes a long way. Serves 6 as a side salad.
- 3 large handfuls organic baby greens
- 4 oz. Drake Family Farms chevre
- 2/3 cup organic pecans (or other nut)
- 2 oz. Amano Artisan Chocolate (70% cocoa)
- ½ cup La Vecchia Dispensa balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- Diamond kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co. fresh pepper
Coarsely chop the nuts.
Crumble the cheese.
Preheat the oven to 325F. Arrange the chopped nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast until warm and fragrant, about 3 – 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate over low heat with the balsamic, stirring frequently. Cook over low heat for about 3 minutes, or until the vinegar has slightly reduced. Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium bowl. Set aside to cool slightly.
Whisk in the olive oil, then add salt and pepper to taste.
Arrange the baby greens on individual serving plates. Sprinkle with the chopped nuts and crumbled cheese. Lightly drizzle with the dressing, about 1 – 2 teaspoons per plate. Serve right away.
Hold the remaining dressing in the fridge. Gently re-heat before serving to thin out the chocolate, if needed.