Not a salad for wimps! The assertive flavor of the puntarella is only matched by the briny anchovy. Serve alongside lamb or beef. Serves 4 – 6 as a side salad.
- 1 head organic puntarella
- 1 large organic tomato
- 2 ribs organic celery
- 1 small handful organic Italian parsley
- 4 – 5 La Scalia Sicilian anchovy fillets
- ½ teaspoon Laziz Toum (or 1 – 2 crushed organic garlic cloves)
- 2 tablespoons Refosco red wine vinegar
- ½ cup LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- Diamond kosher salt and Pohnpei Pepper Co fresh pepper
- Cravero Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese – for optional garnish
Trim off the puntarella core. Coarsely chop the leaves and crisp stems.
Chop the tomato flesh, discarding the core and seeds.
Cut the celery into very long (3 – 4 inches) thin strips.
Chop the parsley leaves.
Hold the celery strips and chopped puntarella in ice cold water while preparing the dressing. The celery may curl slightly.
Heat the Toum, anchovies and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Crush the anchovies with a wooden spoon into the mix to combine. Simmer for about one minute, then add in the tomato. Simmer over low heat until the mixture is mostly combined, about 4 – 5 minutes. Set aside to cool to for about 5 minutes.
Add in the vinegar and the remaining olive oil, and blend well using a blender or vigorously whisk by hand. Salt and pepper to taste.
Drain the celery and puntarella and dry well. Toss with the parsley.
Toss about half of the vinaigrette with the greens. Add more as needed and salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with shavings of Parmigiano – Reggiano cheese.