Extremely easy pasta entrée suitable for delicious weeknight dinner or fabulous entertaining family meal. Serves 4 – 6 as an entrée.
- 2 bunches certified organically grown kale
- 1 lb. LHF's house-made Frody's Italian sausage
- 1 lb. Rustichella d'Abruzzo fettuccine pasta or other broad noodle
- 1 cup More than Gourmet chicken broth
- 2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese + extra for garnish
- 3 garlic cloves
- Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- ¼ cup LHF California extra virgin olive oil
- 1 certified organically grown lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Cut out any tough ribs and stems from the kale. Chop into slightly larger than bite sized pieces.
Remove the sausage from its casing and crumble into bite sized pieces.
Grate 2 oz. of the cheese.
Slice the garlic.
Cut the lemon in half.
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the chopped kale until just softened, about 4 – 6 minutes.
Strain out the kale (it's ok if a few stray pieces remain) from the boiling water. Using the same pot of boiling water, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta, reserving 2 cups of the cooking water. Return the drained pasta to the large pot.
While the kale and then pasta are cooking, heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the oil. When the oil is hot, mix in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in the crumbled sausage to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the cooked kale to the sausage in the skillet. Sauté briefly to combine flavors, about 3 minutes. Mix in the chicken stock and stir with a wooden spoon to remove any stuck browned sausage bits from the bottom of the skillet.
Pour kale sausage mixture over the pasta and stir to combine. If needed, add in the reserved pasta water to moisten the mixture. Mix in the grated cheese. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.
Serve each bowl garnished with Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings and a quick squeeze of fresh lemon juice.